HBL Profile: Karolin Schnoor

Thursday 19 May 2011

Karolin Schnoor


WGSN-homebuildlife speaks to London-based illustrator Karolin Schnoor about her design process, sources of inspiration and plans for the future.

Karolin Schnoor

Firstly, what’s your background and what led to you becoming an illustrator?

I've always been a big fan of illustrated books and some of my most vivid childhood memories are of the images in my favorite stories but I think this is true of most people. I was quite an obsessive reader as a child and I did feel quite strongly that the image could make or break the story for me. I also remember my mum drawing with me a lot. She made up all kinds of drawing games and this really encouraged me to think of drawing as a tool; I've been hooked ever since.

Karolin Schnoor

I am originally from Berlin but came to London to do a foundation degree, not being sure of what direction to take exactly but feeling quite intrigued at the thought of doing something creative in an unknown place. I remember being completely taken in by the city and it made sense to stay, especially when I got onto the Illustration course at the London College of Communications.

During my degree there, I also took a year out to go to Paris where I did an Erasmus term at quite a traditional art school followed by an internship in Berlin. After graduating I stayed in London and I'm still here, it's such a vortex of activity it's hard to get out once you've been sucked in!

Karolin Schnoor

What is your design process- how does each piece develop?

The constraint that a brief gives you can be quite exciting. Knowing how something is printed, what size it will be and where it will appear gives you a good framework. Once I know my parameters I usually think of colour first and the composition will follow.

Karolin Schnoor

Once I have my idea, I will do a quick sketch and then move right on to the final illustration. Colour and pattern are very important and once I have my final piece it's just about getting the balance right. When I do my personal work and I have more time I do like introducing ideas of narrative and continuity, I like creating images in sets for instance. In terms of process, everything I do is hand-drawn and then scanned in for colouring.

Karolin Schnoor

What projects do you have coming up in the future?

I've started screenprinting again, which is something I feel in love with at university so I will hopefully be producing more printed work. I'm currently working on illustrations for a tabletop range; and my work will be featured in two soon-to-be-published books which I am really excited about. In terms of design work, there are a few website projects in the pipeline and I continue to work with Myrdle Court Press, an independent publisher with a focus on urbanism.

Karolin Schnoor