HBL Interview: Natalie du Toit
of Indigi Designs

Wednesday 1 June 2011


During this year's Design Indaba in South Africa, WGSN-homebuildlife came across the work of new design brand Indigi Designs. We loved their mix of traditional South African colour and pattern with characterful, contemporary forms, and we spoke to Indigi Design's founder Natalie Du Toit to find out what inspires her collections.

What inspired your new collection?
I am inspired by a lot of things – inspiration is everywhere you look – it’s just a matter of perspective. I am very inspired by the beautiful, diverse and energetic country I live in and take cue from nature, our cultures and our history. However other indigenous cultures are of great fascination to me.

I love experimenting with all types of materials and processes, and being in the factory environment is incredibly stimulating and fundamental to my design development, as they tend to evolve during a process of investigation and experimentation, rather than be pre-conceptualised products ready for manufacture.

Where are you based and where can we buy your products?
I’m based in Cape Town, South Africa and my products are available directly through my design company Indigi Designs. I’m in the process of setting up agents and distributors.

What did you do before starting your own design studio?
I studied interior design, and after being in the interior décor industry for a few years, worked my way up to being the Homeware Buyer for a niche national retailer. I then took an opportunity to hone my design and development skills at a national décor manufacturing company heading up Design & Marketing, and developing products for large retailers and commercial projects. I founded and developed a successful lifestyle brand here and became Creative Director. I left in February 2011 to start my own design company ‘Indigi Designs’ and launched my new venture at Design Indaba in Cape Town where I had a fantastic response.



What are your plans for the future?
I’m busy finalising my new range of fabrics which will be launched towards July 2011. I’ve just set up an agent in Australia and the collection will be exhibited at the Decoration and Design show in Melbourne this July. My plan is to expand the product lines further and place more agents and distributors internationally.